Through the Office of the Science Coordinator, Holy Cross offers students opportunities to perform faculty-directed research in various facets of biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics or psychology. Accepted students work with an individual faculty member on a multi-week summer research project, often resulting in publication in a research journal. In recent years, as many as 60 students have participated in the program.
At the annual poster session on campus in early September, student researchers present the results of their work to the Holy Cross community. In many cases, students will also be invited to present their findings at one of the scientific meetings held across the country.
Applications for summer research positions are typically due at the end of February. Students who are accepted into the summer program receive a stipend and funds to purchase research supplies, as well as room and board. A portion of the travel expenses for those presenting at scientific meetings is also covered.
What's New? Hot off the presses
- http://magazine.holycross.edu/issue_46_3/46_3_gifts/46_3_marlon" target="_blank">A $500,000 gift from Anthony M. Marlon, M.D., '63 puts the Holy Cross Summer Research Program on a path toward full endowment
- http://magazine.holycross.edu/issue_46_4/46_4_campusnotebook/46_4_summerresearch" target="_blank">What I did on my summer vacation
- http://news.holycross.edu/blog/2012/04/26/five-things-to-know-about-michelle-oviedo-%E2%80%9912/" target="_blank">Wealth of college experiences help premed student prepare for ‘real world’
- http://news.holycross.edu/blog/2012/05/24/senior-chemistry-major-presents-hiv-research-at-national-c..." target="_blank">Chemistry Major Presents Research at National HIV Conference
- http://news.holycross.edu/blog/2012/02/14/psychology-major-presents-research-at-harvard-conference/" target="_blank">Psychology Major Presents Research at Harvard Conference
- http://news.holycross.edu/blog/2011/06/06/cartwright-11-first-year-course-requirement-sparked-my-pas..." target="_blank">Cartwright ’11: First-Year Course Requirement Sparked My Passion for Research
- www.kauffman.org/newsroom/kauffman-foundation-expands-global-scholars-program-invites-graduates-to-a...">http://www.kauffman.org/newsroom/kauffman-foundation-expands-global-scholars-program-invites-graduat..." target="_blank">Kaufmann Foundation expands global scholars program, invites U.S. graduates to apply
- http://academics.holycross.edu/files/Science_Coordinator/HCScienceTimeline.pdf" target="_blank" title="The Legacy of Prominent Science Holy Cross Alumni">The Legacy of Prominent Science Holy Cross Alumni and Faculty (pdf)
http://news.holycross.edu/blog/2010/08/03/video-what-makes-science-education-at-holy-cross-so-distin..." target="_blank">What Makes Science Education at Holy Cross So Distinctive?
- www.holycross.edu/magazine/issue_44_1/44_1_science/?page=1">http://www.holycross.edu/magazine/issue_44_1/44_1_science/?page=1" target="_blank">The Science of Doing
- http://academics.holycross.edu/sciencecoordinator/events/2011postersession" target="_blank">Photo Gallery: A Look at Summer Science Research Conducted at Holy Cross
http://news.holycross.edu/blog/2009/08/06/video-student-faculty-research-teams-talk-about-summer-sci... " target="_blank">Video: Student-Faculty Research Teams Talk About Summer Science Projects
- http://magazine.holycross.edu/issue_44_2/44_2_advancement/44_2_stranksy" target="_blank">Stransky Foundation grant for science research
http://magazine.holycross.edu/issue_43_4/43_4_advancement/43_4_greisch" target="_blank">Greisch fellowship for research in sociology
- www.holycross.edu/explore/sciences/index.html">http://www.holycross.edu/explore/sciences/index.html">Explore Sciences at Holy Cross